Directs and supervises activities relating to operation and maintenance of facilities, grounds and equipment in school buildings and offices by performing the essential functions and duties personally or through building administrators and custodial or maintenance personnel. The person in this position must have, in addition to a thorough knowledge of maintenance and repair operations, the ability to train and direct maintenance and custodial staff.
Education Level: Four-year college program, two-year technical school program or trade school certificate; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience Desired: One to three years in a related field.
Physical Requirements: Good physical health including ability to lift 75 pounds, climb to high and difficult places and work at those places. Constant hand-eye and mind-eye coordination, standing and walking. Repetitive motion with wrists, hands and fingers. Frequent bending, carrying, hearing, lifting, pushing and stooping. Occasional climbing, crawling and reaching.
Other Requirements: Carries out directives in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, responding to facility emergencies when needed including outside the normal workday, problem solving and maintaining good working relationships with staff and Administration.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES: (other duties may be assigned)
- Oversees planning, operations and maintenance of facilities and grounds by conferring with administration and other supervisors, directors and custodial staff to maximize use of physical resources.
- Responsible for programming & monitoring HVAC settings throughout school buildings and offices.
- Supervises custodians and maintenance personnel including hiring, firing, scheduling and evaluating staff with input from administration.
- Procures and purchases building custodial and maintenance supplies, equipment and furniture as directed.
- Reviews, approves and submits department invoices for accounts payable.
- Prepares construction and project specifications and bid documents obtaining advice from outside professionals where applicable.
- Analyzes bids and makes recommendations for contract approval.
- Directs contracted projects to verify adherence to specifications.
- With direction from administration, coordinates activities involved in maintenance, repair and housekeeping so that all school facilities and equipment are always in good order, and is responsible for the condition of the buildings and grounds for their cleanliness, sanitation, repair and maintenance including snow removal as needed.
- Hires and coordinates contractors and other professional trade services for care & upkeep of school buildings and grounds.
- Logs and maintains a district-wide work-order system with superior communication to administration, maintenance and custodial staff.
- Prepares budget requests for long-range capital planning as well as materials and supplies necessary for the maintenance and operation of the district’s buildings and grounds for the next fiscal year.
- Reviews and approves facility use requests.
- Coordinates key and fob access to buildings for district staff and rentals.
- Maintains AHERA records for the district and is the LEA contact person.
- Prepares and submits grant applications as directed.
- Obtains and maintains commercial driver’s license with school bus and passenger endorsements to assist as backup driver as needed.
- Serves as district representative on the Yankton Area Point of Distribution (POD) Committee and other emergency response planning committees and projects as assigned.