Executive DirectorMoving’ Out, Inc. - Madison, WI
Based in Madison, Wisconsin, Movin’ Out is a dynamic, successful, statewide non-profit Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO) and HUD-certified housing counseling agency that, in partnership with people with disabilities and their allies, creates and sustains community-integrated, safe, affordable housing. Movin’ Out meets its mission with unique and innovative programs that have gained national and state level recognition and awards. Movin’ Out develops inclusive, community- integrated housing; owns and manages a portfolio of scattered site homes; and assists people with disabilities to purchase and maintain their own homes. Movin’ Out and its subsidiaries mobilize this range of housing solutions with nine staff, $1.3 million annual budget, and current assets of $15.0 million.
Movin’ Out seeks an experienced and values-driven leader as its Executive Director. The Executive Director is responsible for leading Movin’ Out’s long-term strategic direction; planning and managing expansion; setting priorities; and guiding daily operations of a housing development and housing counseling agency that creates opportunities for people with disabilities and their families to know their options, develop their own housing plan, and secure safe and affordable housing through home- ownership and rental housing. The executive director develops and maintains excellent collaborative relationships with public and private funders, development partners and financiers, as well as agencies that fund and deliver services that support people with disabilities to be successful home owners, tenants, and neighbors. We provide a competitive salary and a generous benefit package. We are willing to consider flexible hours. We operate from our newly built offices located close to major highways and have great amenities to offer including free underground parking. Our offices, too, are located near the soon to be built Pinney Branch Library. The City of Madison and surrounding communities rank among the best places in the country to work and live. University of Wisconsin Madison campus and several other colleges are located here. Innovators cultivate their ideas here. Leaders develop economic opportunity here. And parents find educational excellence for their children here. Madison ranks among the best in the nation including excellent bike trails, distinctive locally owned businesses, cutting edge technology, safe neighborhoods, great health care, green resources, excellent education, high quality cultural events, music venues and restaurants.
Provide Values-Based Leadership:
- Promotes and fosters a mission-driven spirit of cooperation among staff, board, consumers and colleagues in the housing and human services agencies associated with Movin’ Out
- Cultivates positive communication with public and private organizations that impact on the mission, goals and objectives of Movin’ Out
- Guides the daily operations of this housing development and housing counseling agency by offering value-based leadership
- Provides training and presentations to both large and small groups for educational and/or promotional purposes
- Represents the agency at forums, hearings, meetings, events, and social media linked to Movin’ Out’s mission and goals.
Demonstrate Fiscal & Program Accountability:
- Develops and maintains a business model that produces exceptional mission impact and sustained financial health
- Leads agency fundraising efforts from foundations, and corporate and individual charitable contributions
- Leads the organization in its long-term strategic directions; planning its growth and success
- Evaluates and manages risks and opportunities by assuring fiscal and program accountability
- Secures and administers funds from a range of private and public sectors to sustain agency programs
- Assists Movin’ Out board of directors in agency governance; serves as staff liaison to board.
- Works with the Board of Directors and staff to develop, implement, and evaluate the Movin’ Out strategic plan. • Develops and supervises the implementation of Movin’ Out policies, management systems, and procedures; assures adherence to all laws and regulatory requirements.
- Provides leadership, direction, and program supervision to housing development, acquisition, rehab, asset and property management, home ownership loan programs, housing counseling, information and assistance, and individual housing plan development
- Fosters and recognizes creative ideas and actualizes them within the organization
- Recruits new staff, supervises, and supports staff performance, evaluates staff growth and performance, assigns duties and compensation for all staff
- Oversees agency compliance with human resource and employment regulations.
- Professional and/or life experience that demonstrates an understanding and commitment to working in partnership with people with disabilities and their allies as well as an understanding and commitment to the values of community integration
- Strong financial skills, including ability to ensure sustained financial health and accountable management of the organization and ability to identify and successfully pursue diverse funding sources, such as grants, contracts, charitable donations. • Strong program management skills, with experience in supervising staff, setting priorities, and meeting program performance and reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of the long term care service system and ability to develop and sustain good working relationships with long term care service providers and policy makers
- Skills to develop and sustain good working relationships with key affordable housing, finance, home ownership, development, and regulatory organizations at federal, state and local levels
- Experience in setting goals and supervising staff that are highly professional and self-directed with internalized performance expectations and a high degree of flexibility and independence
- Experience in some or all of the following: housing development programs including multi- family real estate development, housing acquisition, rehabilitation, asset and property management and ability to evaluate, manage and tolerate business risks associated with housing development
- Knowledge of home ownership loan programs, housing counseling, information and assistance, individual housing plan development
- Familiarity with programs and regulatory requirements of housing finance organizations such as HUD, Federal Home Loan Bank, CDBG (community development block grant), the low- income housing tax credit program, and HOME, including CHDO requirements
- Experience in working in the non-profit sector under the direction of a board of directors, developing and implementing strategic plans and providing prompt and accurate updates to the board
- Capacity to manage and set priorities in a complex organization that includes several LLC and 501 (c)(3) subsidiaries
- Excellent written and verbal skills and an ability to represent Movin’ Out at conferences and in meetings, newsletters, social media, and other public venues. Proficient use of social media.
Application Deadline: March 14th, 2018
Please email resumé, cover letter, & brief responses to four questions listed below, to:
email@example.com - Please type “MO Executive Director” on the subject line.
Responses to the following questions MUST be included in your email, along with resumé & cover letter:
- Question 1. Describe your professional and/or personal experience in working with or assisting people with disabilities.
- Question 2.Describe your experience in fundraising and in forging new partnerships and collaboration that resulted in expanded knowledge and public understanding of your organization.
- Question 3. Describe your experience in program management, staff supervision, managing work load and prioritizing work, policy development, ensuring compliance with program and regulatory requirements and meeting deadlines.
- Question 4. Describe your experience and role in financial management of an organization including fundraising, and the size of the budget.