Water Distribution Worker
Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 5 p.m.
Apply Online: http://www.moline.il.us/109/Employment
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Salary: $19.0066 Hourly
Characteristics of the Job
Under close supervision, performs manual work and semi-skilled mechanical tasks in the installation, repair and maintenance of a water distribution system. Exercises some independent judgment in determining work methods after receiving written or oral instructions.
Examples of Duties
(Other duties may be assigned.)
• Perform manual labor including digging, lifting, loading, cutting and fastening.
• Operate dump trucks, utility trucks and other vehicles.
• Operate hand and power tools, jackhammers, rock drills, pumps and other construction related equipment.
• Perform labor in the installation, repair and maintenance of service lines, curb, corporation and mainline valves, fire hydrants and water mains.
• Complete distribution system repairs in accordance with standard operating procedures designed to protect the integrity and public safety of the water supply.
• Assist in set up of traffic control devices and shoring systems.
• Assist in performing leak detection, hydrant flushing, pressure testing and chlorination of new water main construction and other distribution related activities.
• Perform basic building and grounds maintenance including mowing, trimming, painting, washing and snow removal.
Training and Experience
High school diploma or GED equivalent; experience in mechanical maintenance and underground construction work; experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of water mains, services, fire hydrants and related appurtenances or experience in the maintenance of water treatment and production facilities; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess knowledge of the types of and uses of common hand and power tools used in construction and maintenance work, particularly those associated with water distribution system maintenance and repair; knowledge of applicable occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions; and specific knowledge of public health hazards associated with the distribution of water.
Skill in performing manual labor and construction work; skill in the use of and the care of hand tools and powered equipment; and skill in the safe operation of dump trucks.
Ability to work from simple sketches, plans and diagrams; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, officials and the general public.
Licenses, Registrations and Certifications
Valid Illinois Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or equivalent within 45 days after hire and preferably, an Illinois Class D Water Supply Operator's Certificate or the ability to obtain same.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, employee is required to stand and sit; use hands and fingers to handle, feel and make fine adjustments; reach with hands and arms; climb and balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and lift/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work is performed under varied weather conditions. The employee must be able to perform physical activities constantly at a heavy demand level.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER