Youth Counselor Supervisors
The State Training School (STS) at Eldora offers a holistic social, behavioral, psychiatric, academic and vocational program that utilizes counseling, treatment, and consequences paired with praise and opportunity to males, ages 12 to 18 years old who have been adjudicated delinquent. Services and programs provide individualized treatment and offer comprehensive education, with a goal of transitioning the young man back to his community. The facility is operated by the Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS).
The program available for residents includes:
- General education studies
- Special education programs
- Title I
- High School Equivalency Diploma (formerly GED)
- Competency-based vocational programs
- Working with delinquent and emotionally troubled youth
- Counseling and behavior modification programs for the young men in our facility
- Providing both individual and group counseling
- Directing and organizing others in this process
The State Training School provides an environment rich in psychological challenges that will allow you to practice your craft in a meaningful manor with no boring days. You will perfect and grow your ability in your chosen field by addressing suicide issues, substance abuse, sexual identity, and maladaptive behaviors. You will be the glue that helps pull these young men together. You will be well served by the existing structure which provides you with administrative office staff and security.
The State Training School is located in Eldora, Iowa, home of the Pine Lake State Park which offers an array of outdoor recreational activities. Eldora is an Iowa River Greenbelt Community featuring quaint shops, eating choices, and plenty of family friendly activity. The Iowa River Greenbelt Scenic Drive is a must do which winds through a picturesque landscape of valleys, woods and streams. Eldora is 45 minutes from Ames and Cedar Falls and only 22 minutes from Iowa Falls.
At the STS we are committed to helping talented Psychologists and Counselors continue to grow by offering benefits such as:
- Re-licensure opportunities
- Comprehensive Orientation
- Team Environment
- Training and Development
- Insurance - Health, Dental, Life, Voluntary Life, and Long Term Disability
- Employee contribution for medical and dental is less than $40 per month single and less than $190 per month for medical and dental for a family.
- IPERS (Iowa Public Employee Retirement System)-Fixed Income Pension
- Deferred Compensation with match as a Roth or Traditional Tax Deferred Plan
- Paid Leave - 9 Holidays, Sick, Family Sick Leave, Vacation, and Military Leave
- Strong Opportunity for Advancement, Growth, and Development.
To learn more about benefits available to State of Iowa employees visit the benefits web page.
Applicants must apply online at:
Search: Filter - Location - Eldora
If you have questions please contact:
State Training School¦Ed Gilliland or Brett Lawrence
3211 Edgington Avenue, Eldora, IA 50627¦641-858-5402
Applications should be submitted using the link above no later than December 30, 2018.
The State of Iowa is an EEO/AA Employer