YOUTH SERVICES COUNSELOR
The State Training School (STS) at Eldora offers a holistic social, behavioral, psychiatric, academic and vocational program that utilizes counseling, treatment and consequences paired with praise and opportunity to males, ages 12 to 18 years old who have been adjudicated delinquent. Services and programs provide individualized treatment and offer comprehensive education, with a goal of transitioning the young man back to his community. The facility is operated by the Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS).
The program available for residents includes:
• General education studies • Special education programs • Title I
• Competency-based vocational programs • High School Equivalency Diploma (formerly GED) • Counseling
Youth Services Counselor
The Counselors at the STS are integral to the successful growth and reentry into society for the young men at the facility. DHS is currently recruiting for a Youth Counselor to provide counseling and related therapy as part of a treatment team. If you enjoy challenging, yet rewarding work helping students find stability in their lives and security in their future, and are proficient in –
• Handling a diverse caseload of emotionally disordered students
• Counseling and behavior modification programs for the young men in our facility
• Providing both individual and group counseling
– you will want to have a career at the STS.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with a minimum of twelve semester hours in child development, criminology, mental health, psychology, social work, sociology, or closely related area.
Salary: $42,702.40 - $63,502.40 Annually.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Number: 19-01764
Closing: 2/13/2019 11:59 PM Central
The State Training School provides an environment rich in psychological challenges that will allow you to practice your craft in a meaningful manor with no boring days. You will perfect and grow your ability in your chosen field by addressing suicide issues, substance abuse, sexual identity, and maladaptive behaviors. You will be the glue that helps pull these young men together. You will be well served by the existing structure which provides you with administrative office staff and security.
The State Training School is located in Eldora, Iowa, home of the Pine Lake State Park which offers an array of outdoor recreational activities. Eldora is an Iowa River Greenbelt Community featuring quaint shops, eating choices, and plenty of family friendly activity. The Iowa River Greenbelt Scenic Drive is a must do which winds through a picturesque landscape of valleys, woods and streams. Eldora is 45 minutes from Ames and Cedar Falls and only 22 minutes from Iowa Falls. http://
At the STS we are committed to helping talented Psychologists and Counselors continue to grow by offering benefits such as:
• Re-licensure opportunities
• Comprehensive Orientation
• Team Environment
• Training and Development
As an employee of the STS you are a State of Iowa employee and eligible for a comprehensive benefits package that includes the following and more.
• Insurance – Health, Dental, Life, Voluntary Life, and Long Term Disability
• Employee contribution for medical and dental is less than $40 per month single and less than $190 per month for medical and dental for a family.
• IPERS (Iowa Public Employee Retirement System)-Fixed Income Pension
• Deferred Compensation with match as a Roth or Traditional Tax Deferred Plan
• Paid Leave – 9 Holidays, Sick, Family Sick Leave, Vacation, and Military Leave
• Strong Opportunity for Advancement, Growth, and Development.
Applicants must apply on line, please apply at:
Search: Filter - Location - Eldora
If you have questions please contact:
State Training School • Ed Gilliland or Brett Lawrence
3211 Edgington Avenue, Eldora, IA 50627 • Phone: 641-858-5402
Applications should be submitted using the link above no later than FEBRUARY 13, 2019.
The State of Iowa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.