Title of Position – Communications Associate (Alumni & Development)
Preparation Date: January 28, 2019
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Assistant Director of Marketing & Communication and the Associate Director of Advancement – Alumni & Parent Relations and Annual Giving, to assist with the general administrative operations of the Alumni & Development Offices, particularly those communication functions designed to engage alumni, parents, friends, and other key constituents in the advancement of the College. Collaborates with Marketing & Communication and other Institutional Advancement staff to promote involvement in fundraising initiatives and other activities, demonstrating initiative; utilizing a broad set of organizational, communication and public relations skills; and working effectively with a minimum of direct supervision.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Marketing & Communication
1) Coordinate the development of communication materials in support of Alumni & Development and in collaboration with Marketing & Communication staff, to achieve a unified look and message. Write content for print and electronic communication elements for fundraising and other advancement-related initiatives, including brochures, newsletters, and other materials as needed; oversee the gathering of information and content for various communications. 25%
2) Collaborate with Institutional Advancement colleagues in the development and execution of an effective communication plan to engage target audiences in support of the College, integrating the President as well as other volunteer or campus leaders as appropriate. 20%
3) Coordinate updates to Alumni & Development websites, resulting in sites that effectively engage alumni, parents, friends, and other constituents in support of the College. 5%
Alumni & Parent Relations and Annual Giving
4) Prepare electronic and print communications for donors, staff, alumni, parents, and volunteer leaders, in collaboration with Alumni & Development, and Marketing & Communication staff. 25%
5) Create online event registrations. 15%
6) Design and produce (gathering and editing content for) monthly e-newsletters sent to alumni, parents, and/or donors. 5%
7) Assist in the training and oversight of student employees working in the College’s e-communications system. 5%
Other duties may be assigned. Some weekend/evening work may be required.
Employee will proceed independently, working toward objectives established in consultation with supervisor. Employee required to use of a wide range of procedures, prioritize own work and resolve unusual cases in consultation with supervisor.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in communication arts or related area and strong knowledge of marketing, communications, and/or public relations field (preferably with higher education or not-for-profits); demonstrated excellence in writing, editing and interpersonal communications, and working knowledge of communications and office technology including computers, digital communication software, website software, social media, etc. Must demonstrate the ability to balance multiple projects with accuracy in a deadline-driven environment, and to work as part of a team. Excellent organizational and administrative skills and the ability to plan and prioritize tasks. Must demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of philanthropy as well as a desire and commitment to further the mission of the College. Must possess the interest and ability to learn new skills required to remain current for the position, as well as initiative and judgment to execute responsibilities.
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: email@example.com. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
WARTBURG COLLEGE is a selective liberal arts college of the ELCA, nationally recognized for community engagement. As an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, Wartburg College actively seeks applications from underrepresented groups.