Title of Position: Broadcast and Media Operations Engineer
Preparation Date: December 13, 2018
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Assistant Vice President of Information Technology Services to serve as chief engineer for the radio and television stations and maintain and support broadcast and computer equipment used in electronic media instruction and the on-air and streaming media facilities. Work closely with the Chair of the Department of Journalism and Communications or designee. This is a full-time (12 month) position.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support for audio and video streaming platforms including support for multi-camera shoots as well as for over the air radio and CATV production.
- Ensure all broadcast and computer hardware and software used in electronic media instruction, production, and delivery and in the on-air facilities is in good working order.
- Provide training for students, staff and faculty on the use of production hardware and software.
- Provide leadership and technical support for the entertainment services delivered to the campus’ students, faculty and staff via CATV or streaming services.
- Provide leadership and technical support for digital signage campus-wide.
- Work in collaboration with Assistant Vice President of Information Technology Services and the Department of Journalism and Communications chair in establishing a strategic direction for media production and delivery.
- Recommend equipment purchases to the Assistant Vice President of Information Technology Services.
- Manage the departmental budget.
- Develop and coordinate procedures for the checkout and use of college-owned departmental equipment.
- Ensure that the radio and television stations meet all applicable Federal Communications Commission rules concerning FM radio and cable television standards.
- Establish a good working relationship with vendors to facilitate solving hardware and software problems and outsourced repairs.
- Provide assistance to the computer networking staff on projects as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends to assist developing strategies for integration of new equipment, software, and services into the existing operation.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Employee proceeds independently working toward established objectives requiring the use of a wide range of procedures. Employee prioritizes own work and develops own work schedule. Resolves unusual cases in consultation with supervisor.
- Requires Associates degree in electronics or related field and two years of experience as a chief engineer or significant related work experience. BA degree preferred.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends on a regular basis.
- Knowledge of broadcast rules and regulations.
- Strong problem solving skills related to operational and technical problems.
- Basic understanding of IP networking and desktop operating systems.
- Familiarity with production and post-production software.
Send a letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, resume, and contact information for three references electronically to: email@example.com. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
WARTBURG COLLEGE is a selective liberal arts college of the ELCA, nationally recognized for community engagement. As an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, Wartburg College actively seeks applications from women and members of ethnic and minority groups.