Title of Position – Executive Director for Business & HR
Preparation Date: October 2020
Function of Position:
The Executive Director for Business & HR is responsible to the Vice President for Finance and Administration for leadership and promoting stewardship of College resources related to collecting and disbursing money and providing related reports in a timely and accurate manner as well as providing leadership for the Human Resource Office.. Serves as the main contact for the Business & Finance Committee of the Board. This is a full-time twelve-month position.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervise & Manage (37%)
- Supervise and manage the Business Office functions, including student accounts, accounts payable, revenue and expense budgets, student employment, payroll processing and all reporting functions.(10%)
- Supervise and manage the Human Resource Office functions, including policies & procedures related to all employment practices, consistent with mission and institutional goals. (5%)
- Supervise Business Office and Human Resource staff, including leading, training, and motivating individuals and completing performance appraisals. (10%)
- Provide support and coordination for accounting/business functions performed by other departments (e.g. Financial Aid, Advancement, Registrar, Residential Life) including establishing and reviewing policies. (5%)
- Provides main back up for Director of HR and handles more complex HR issues and provides back up for the Data Base Reporting Manager related to executing banking transactions. (5%).
- Other related duties as assigned. (2%)
Budget & Financial Reporting (36%)
- Oversees the budget planning process, in consultation with the President’s Budget Advisory Council (PBAC) and other Business Office personnel. (10%)
- Oversees the budget monitoring and reporting process for department budget managers, the President’s Cabinet and the Board of Regents. (3%)
- Assist the Vice-president for Finance and Administration with financial analysis and budget development and controls.(4%)
- Oversee financial reports and review and prepare work papers for the external auditor’s review for the following reports: annual audit, federal audit, tax return, and debt compliance.(10%)
- Oversee the completion of surveys for external and monthly budget reporting and monitoring. (3%)
- Participate in Board of Regents committee meetings and provide the lead for the Business & Finance Committee meetings.(3%)
- Provide input, financial review and oversight for Wartburg West Housing.(3%)
Internal Controls & Continuous Improvements (10%)
- Automate and improve processes to increase efficiency of the Business and Human Resource offices and timeliness of providing accurate information to customers. (3%)
- Monitors internal control environment of the overall organization, including segregation of duties and access to banking and systems and drives quality and process improvement efforts. (3%)
- Comply with applicable financial and accounting standards, regulations and policies. (2%)
- Participate in on-going process improvements and document processes related to job duties. (2%)
Risk Management (10%)
- Oversee the day-to-day property & casualty insurance needs, including providing appropriate coverage for new property and equipment, providing insurance binders when requested and requesting insurance binders when appropriate. (5%)
- Serve as the primary risk management officer of the institution including reviewing contracts as needed and contacting legal counsel when appropriate; Oversee compliance regulations within the Business and HR Office operations. (5%)
Cash & Investments (7%)
- Manage short-term cash investments and handle investing of pooled endowment, gift annuity and other investments, as guided by the Investment Subcommittee of the Board. (5%)
- Handles the selling of stocks, bonds, and mutual fund gifts from donors. (2%)
Employee is responsible for determining own work assignments, creating, and implementing appropriate policies and procedures while considering the internal control environment. Employee independently devises new methods to meet conditions and only confers with supervisor regarding unusual matters.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in business, human resources or related field; ten years of experience in accounting, payroll, and/or human resources and seven years of supervisory experience; demonstrated knowledge and application of accounting standards (FASB); significant experience with computers, including extensive knowledge and experience with Excel and an understanding of databased management. Also, strong written, oral and interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective communications with students, parents, faculty, staff, and other offices; enthusiasm for students and their education; strong commitment to service. CPA or advanced degree in business, human resources or related field preferred.
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.