Director of University Risk Management
Office of the President
Southern Illinois University
Position Summary: The Director of University Risk Management is responsible for the daily financial and administrative management of University Risk Management (URM) and the Self-Insurance Program (Program). This position reports directly to the Vice President for Financial and Administrative Affairs and Board Treasurer. The position supervises a civil service staff of 5 full-time and 2 part-time positions. This position consults with the Office of General Counsel and other administrative personnel throughout the University system. The URM office is located in Carbondale. Travel is estimated near 20%. This position is a twelve-month continuing appointment. Starting date is anticipated to be on or before September 1, 2018.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assesses and makes recommendations concerning program structure and operations.
- Implements policy and procedures for the management of the Program.
- Responsible for the delivery of reports on the activities, accomplishments, and financial impact of the Program.
- Establishes, reviews, updates, and closes claim reserves as necessary.
- Represents the Program at trials and in mediation and settlement negotiations of claims.
- Settles general liability, professional liability, educator's legal liability, property, and accident claims, when appropriate and within prescribed settlement authority.
- Oversees and reviews the allocation of insurance premiums and other risk management costs.
- Directs the negotiation of insurance purchases and policy endorsements.
- Supervises inspection, loss control, claims, and education services.
- Assists campus administrators in the development of risk- and insurance-related policies and procedures.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field. Ten years of experience in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field, or equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, abilities, and skills.
This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $6,500-$8,300 per month, and is commensurate with qualifications and experience; there is an excellent fringe benefits package.
Application Deadline: August 10, 2018, or until filled.
Application Procedure: Please submit a cover letter of application, current resume, and the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three references to:
University Risk Management
Southern Illinois University
1301 West Chautauqua, Mail Code 6829
Carbondale, IL 62901
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of
individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its
ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to
serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed
and encouraged and will receive consideration.