Recreational Sports and Services
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Student Affairs at Southern Illinois University Carbondale is currently accepting applications for the position of Director, Recreational Sports and Services.
Position: The Director of Recreational Sports and Services is responsible for providing leadership, strategic direction, and oversight of a comprehensive department whose vision is to inspire the university community to lead active, engaging and healthy lifestyles. This position's responsibilities encompass a wide variety of administrative and supervisory duties related to a multi-faceted recreation and fitness program supported by multiple facilities. The Director oversees assessment, budgets, facility design and construction, leadership and professional development, marketing, program and policy development, strategic planning, and personnel management.
Responsibilities include: The Director provides leadership for the efficient operation of the department by developing operational plans and business strategies for this multi-faceted department, which includes Aquatics, Assessment, Business Operations, Facilities, Fitness, Informal Recreation, Intramural Sports, Marketing, Memberships, Outdoor Adventures, and Sport Clubs. This position provides leadership and direction for approximately 10 full-time professional staff, 13 full time support staff and over 260 student employees, which includes developing short and long-term goals, assessment, hiring, supervising and evaluating staff. This position oversees the maintenance and capital projects of recreation facilities including the Student Recreation Center, Becker Pavilion, outdoor recreation sports complex, Campus Lake Trail, Campus Lake Pavilions, Tennis Courts, Sam Rinella Field, Upper Arena Field and 2 Frisbee Golf Courses. The Director will ensure excellence within their areas of oversight though the use of best and next practices, on-going assessment, program and policy development, relevant staff professional development, staff supervision and evaluation as well as data-informed quality improvement.
- Directs and oversees the entire department by providing leadership, developing strategic and operational short and long-term plans to effectively administer the department's programs and services. This includes development and implementation of department and administrative policies and procedures.
- Develops and implements a long-term sustainable financial plan that includes revenue generating initiatives, facility rentals, user fees, and student fees. Oversight of business operations to ensure that the programs and services are appropriately supported and comply with university, state, and federal regulations. Responsible for the development and administration of over four million dollars in budgets.
- Develops and implements a department assessment plan that evaluates student and member satisfaction, needs, effectiveness, learning and development outcomes. Ensures that the department incorporates initiatives to improve the department's effectiveness.
- Establishes strong partnerships by collaborating with university and external groups/organizations to ensure effective community participation in recreation and fitness activities.
- Facilitate the advisory board within Recreational Sports and Services who provide insight, promote fitness, and help the department achieve its goals.
- Oversight of the development and implementation of the department's marketing plan that inspires and engages the campus community in participating in recreational and fitness activities that provide experiences that enhance student development and academic achievement.
- Oversight of facilities including developing and implementing short and long term plans for facilities maintenance and capital improvement to ensure that recreation and fitness spaces meet students and campus community needs.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures that ensure appropriate administration of programs, facilities, and business operations that minimizes risks and complies with university, state, and federal regulations.
- Directs and oversees the development of department's information management system that supports program, operational, and assessment needs.
- The Director will provide strategic direction and support for a portfolio of critical services and meaningful student engagement opportunities.
- This position will work collaboratively with the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and other campus stakeholders to create and implement a vision for recreation and wellness across campus. Serve on the Division of Student Affairs Leadership Team. Serve on divisional or campus-wide committees; assist with other duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in a field relevant to the position, (e.g. Kinesiology, Physical Education, Recreation Management, Leisure Studies, Sports Management, Student Affairs, College Student Personnel, Higher Education, or closely related field).
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with progressive responsibilities in administering collegiate recreation facilities, programs, and services, experience hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating full-time and part-time staff (professional, graduate and undergraduate), experience developing and managing budgets, including user fees, income generation and expenses.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic and diverse environment by demonstrating a deep commitment to diversity, inclusion, and social justice. Experience managing the changing landscape of higher education while working with diverse internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development of self and staff members, including experience with professional associations.
- Demonstrated organizational and problem solving skills; ability to effectively prioritize work; manage multiple tasks simultaneously; work independently; and demonstrate sound judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations and practices governing risk management, emergency response, patron safety and liability issues related to management of collegiate recreation programs and facilities.
- Demonstrated competencies in application of student learning and developmental theory, student learning outcomes assessment, program evaluation and demonstrated success in the implementation of programs to a culturally diverse population.
- Data management and computing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills; ability to collaborate with constituents, the campus community and community and regional partners.
- Ability to foster and maintain a collegial work environment, which includes positive communication, development of good interpersonal relationships and exhibition of a cooperative attitude with diverse individuals (supervisors, faculty, staff, students, participants, and potential constituents).
Preferred Qualifications: Certification in First Aid, CPR, AED, and Blood Borne Pathogens.
This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
Application Deadline: Application review will begin May 17, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Procedure: Please submit a letter of application outlining qualifications and experience; a detailed resume outlining related work experience; and the names, telephone numbers, and postal and email addresses for three (3) professional references to:
Student Services Building Room 486, Mail Code 4308
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
1263 Lincoln Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of
individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its
ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to
serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed
and encouraged and will receive consideration.